Popular Posts

Wednesday 22 February 2012

THE DIVORCE

Hi everyone,

So, I am still working on EX 3' s gift. While you wait, here is a little something to keep you busy...it is a short story I wrote..I had a lot of fun constructing these characters..E.njoy..

THE DIVORCE

Tade was having a nightmare, he saw his wife chasing him with a long, sharp fork. He kept running, and she never stopped chasing, he hit a stone, and tripped. Before he could stand, his wife had caught up with him, and she was about to plunge the fork into his midriff when he woke up.

Sweat ran down his well chiselled face, and he was breathing heavily.

"But my wife is not even around." He thought.

He decided to wash his face in the zinc, so he was headed towards the bathroom, when his phone rang.

"Who on earth is calling at this time?" He wondered.

The caller's identity scared Tade, it was his wife, his soon to be ex- wife.

He dropped the phone like it was a contagious disease. He headed back to the bathroom, and he was about to splash water on his face when he remembered.
He remembered how he met the woman who chased him with a fork in his dream...

It was a day before christmas, Tade decided to run some final errands before christmas. He drove down to the market, and went to see his customer who sold rice.

"Uncle Tade, your rice don ready o." Obinna said to him

"Thank you, abeg pass am." Tade instructed him.

Obinna gave him a bag, and Tade carried it to his car, he was about to open his booth, when he saw her. She was buying Iru from a seller just a mile away from him. The moment Tade saw her, everything seemed to stop moving. He suddenly couldn't breath. He kept staring at her till she looked at him, probably because she felt his heavy gaze on her.
She looked at him, and quickly looked away. She paid the seller, and hurried away almost as if Tade was an armed robber.

Tade kept staring, until he realised she was walking away. He dropped the bag of rice on the floor, and immediately ran after her.

"Hi." He said when he finally caught up with her.

"Hmmm?"She responded.

"My name is Tade, and I am going to marry you but let us start with a drink, what do you say?" Tade said, trying his best to be suave though the market was rowdy, and he looked awkward with the expression on his face.

She looked at him briefly, and then she told him to leave her alone. Before he could say anything, she had stopped a bike and she was leaving.

Tade quickly stopped another bike, and chased after her, leaving his car, and bag of rice in the hands of his busy rice seller.

That was how he met the woman that he was about to divorce...

He washed his face, and he went back to bed ignoring the phone that continued ringing.

He was about to sleep when he saw a card on the floor that read Uzo.
He remembered the day he got her the card...

It was Valentine, and Tade wanted to surprise his wife so he asked his friend Austin, an artist to make a card for her.

"Hello Austin lolo...my card don ready?" Tade said into the phone.

"Tee baba, it is ready, come and pick it on your way from work." Austin replied.

"Thanks Bro, I trust you made the best because you know Uzo is the best." He bragged.

"I made a beautiful card." Austin assured him.

He picked the card up on his way home along with some flowers, and a bunch of keys.

"I am home baby." Tade screamed as soon as he stepped into his house.

"Hi honey, just a minute, I am trying to finish up here." Uzo replied.

"Ok, take your time." Uzo told her.

He went into the sitting room downstairs, and he knelt at the centre of the room, holding flowers, a card in one hand, and he had a bunch of keys in the other.

Uzo, ran into the sitting room, and she started crying when she saw her husband.

"Happy Valentine's day baby." Tade said smiling.

She knelt, and crawled towards him. They hugged, and he kissed her. He gave her the card, flowers and keys.

"Thank you Mr. Odeyemi...what are the keys for?" She asked jokingly

"Your new house Mrs Odeyemi...which I am sure you will never live in because you will be here with me." Tade replied

Uzo looked at him, and she hugged him tight.

"I will kill you, if you leave me, I love you to death honey." She joked...

"Stupid me, buying her a house, now she lives there, she lives in the house I bought for her while we were together!!! Plus she is trying to kill me." Tade screamed out into the empty house.

He kicked at the sheets angrily, and he was almost rolling off the bed. He took deep breathes, calmed down, and then the memories came rushing back again.

Tade couldn't help thinking back to the day, he knew his marriage was over...

He came home that day in a fine mood. Uzo had said she was visiting a friend in town so he knew he had to have lunch alone. He missed her already but he couldn't stop her from visiting her friends. He decided to call her.
Her phone was ringing but he could hear it so he traced it to their bedroom.

"This babe forgot her phone, hope she comes back." Tade thought aloud.

He was leaving when Uzo's phone rang.

"Hello...please call her..."Tade started

"Mrs Odeyemi, I am sorry ma but we can't afford to carry out another abortion on you, it is too risky, this is the fourth time in three years. If you insist, please visit another clinic." The caller parroted over the phone.

Uzo cut the phone, and he stood at the door staring into space for hours until he heard Uzo drive into the compound.
She called out to him, and she came upstairs.

The moment he saw her, he asked in a calm manner.

"Have you been killing my babies?"

She did not feign ignorance.

"Yes I have." She answered in the same manner.

Tade looked at her again, and he realised his marriage, if it was even to be called that, was over...

Finally, he shut his eyes but he couldn't sleep. While he tried to sleep, he remembered how Uzo used to hold him those nights when sleep eluded him. The memories kept tormenting him, so, he went downstairs, and called his lawyer.
He had a meeting with the lawyer the next day to finalise his divorce.

"Hello, Tokunbo are you awake?" He said into the phone the moment his lawyer picked.

"I am now. Tade how you go dey wake person at 2am in the morning?...is it because you are paying me?" Tokunbo complained

"Abeg no vex, I couldn't sleep..." Tade said

"So?" Tokunbo cut him short.

"I saw Uzo chasing me with a fork, she wanted to kill me o. Toks, can I file charges against her?"

"Under what?...Spiritual attack? Abeg go take piriton, and let me sleep...I am not getting a divorce so, my wife is near me, and, she is a light sleeper...goodnight!!" Tokunbo cut the phone.

"She is chasing me in my dreams so there has to be a case...hello...hello Toks?...bobo yi o gbadun sha." Tade dropped the phone.

Tade reluctantly climbed the stairs to his room, his phone was still ringing angrily, as if his wife's mood was affecting the ring tone.

He had no choice, so he picked the call.

"Hello." He drawled

"I am going to kill you!!!" Uzo screamed into the phone.

Immediately, the lights went out, and Tade knew he was in trouble...

Mylipsrsealed...

No comments:

Post a Comment